Tips to keep your business page and Facebook ads account secure
Marketing for photographers
Tips to keep your Business page & Facebook ads account secure
1. Set up 2-factor authentification on both your personal & business account
Two-factor authentication is a security feature that helps protect your Facebook account in addition to your password. If you set up two-factor authentication, you’ll be asked to enter a special login code or confirm your login attempt each time someone tries accessing Facebook from a browser or mobile device that we don’t recognise. You can also get alerts when someone tries logging in from a browser or mobile device we don’t recognise.
As your personal & business accounts are linked its key to do this on both.
How to Set up 2 factor authentification on your personal account
How to turn on or manage two-factor authentication:
- Go to your Security and login settings.
- Scroll down to Use two-factor authentication and click Edit.
- Choose the security method you want to add and follow the on-screen instructions.
When you set up two-factor authentication on Facebook, you’ll be asked to choose one of three security methods:
- Tapping your security key on a compatible device.
- Login codes from a third-party authentication app.
- Text message codes from your mobile phone.
Once you’ve turned on two-factor authentication, you can get ten recovery login codes when you cannot use your phone. Learn how to set up recovery codes.
How to Set up 2 factor authentification on your business account
Start by going to Business settings.
- Click on Business info.
- Scroll down to Business options.
- Click the drop-down menu next to Two-factor authentication.
- Select Admins only or Everyone to choose who this applies to.
- To turn off the two-factor authentication requirement, choose No one.
2. Review your page roles & permissions
Another way to secure your account is to have a backup admin on your page and ad account. This way if you ever lost access to your page someone you trust can help keep the Page up and running, and get you back in.
Just follow the instructions below for how you can add this today.
Instructions for how to add a backup admin for your business page
Steps to add people to Pages in Business Manager:
STEP 1: Open Business settings.
STEP 2: Below Users, click People.
STEP 3: Click add and enter the persons email address
STEP 4: Select the areas you’d like to share access to. This includes access to the page, ad account and pixel, for example. Toggle on the tasks you’d like to grant to the person. Or, toggle on admin access to allow them to manage the asset and perform all available tasks.
STEP 5: Click Save changes – you will then see pending until the person has accepted the request
3. Create a back up ad account
You may have read about other photographers having their FB ad accounts disabled so its good practice to create a back up account should this ever happen.
Steps to add an ad account in Business Manager are as follows:
STEP 1: Go to Business settings.
STEP 2: Click Accounts from the menu on the left-hand side menu. Then, click Ad accounts.
STEP 3: Click the blue Add drop-down menu.
STEP 4: Choose to Create a new ad account.
STEP 5: Follow the prompts to select people and access levels.
4. Protect your spending limits
Step 1: In Ads Manager dashboard Navigate to “Ad Account Settings”
Step 2: Go to “Payment Settings”
Step 3: In the “Set Account Spending Limit” section – Select a £ amount you are comfortable with
Step 4: Hit “Set Limit”
Step 5: Once You’ve spent the amount you set here – your ads will TURN OFF and will not run until you reset the limit.
I hope you have found this blog post of use and that it helps you to secure your accounts. Over the next few months, Facebook is rolling out its paid-for verification which includes:
- A verified badge confirming you’re the real you and that your account has been authenticated with a government ID.
- More protection from impersonation with proactive account monitoring for impersonators who might target people with growing online audiences.
- Help when you need it with access to a real person for common account issues.
- Increased visibility and reach with prominence in some areas of the platform– like search, comments and recommendations.
Join my course which includes:
11 videos so you can work through the course step-by-step (and it fits around your busy life!)
Downloadable worksheets to help you whilst you are setting up your campaigns
Free Canva templates for posts and ads to get you started
Do you have a question about my FB ads course for photographers?
Surrey family photographer
Photography Training & Workshops
Business & Marketing Mentor